Thursday, February 17, 2011

Microblog #23, "Opening Skinner's Box, Chapter 6"

Summary
In this chapter, we learn about the monkey-mother-deprivation experiments of Harry Harlow. He performed controversial experiments involving torturing monkeys to explore various questions, most famously related to motherhood.

Discussion
I wish the author would stick more to the experiments and less to her own editorializing. I can't agree with "I don't know whether humans are more valuable than monkeys"; of course humans are more valuable, and that anyone thinks otherwise is disturbing to me. That's not to say I endorse what Harlow did, mind you. Some of it, perhaps, was viable, but my initial reaction is the parts where he tortured monkeys just to prove what everyone already knew about what would happen to said monkeys when, say, locked in a box for weeks on end crossed a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment