Friday, February 25, 2011

Microblog #29, "Opening Skinner's Box, Chapter 8"

Summary
In this chapter, Slater writes about Elizabeth Loftus and her work trying to demonstrate that false memories are far, far more common than repressed memories surfacing. Dr. Loftus has a particular focus on fighting charges of sexual abuse that come from such a source.

Discussion
I still feel this book is a little long on the flowery prose when it should be focusing a bit more on experiments, etc. But I digress. What Loftus believes seems like common sense to me; unless I've taken careful pains to memorize something, I wouldn't talk about my own memories as hard facts.

Here's my interesting thought for the chapter: On 9/11 (Sorry, no Challenger), when my old man called from the barber shop and told my mother to turn the TV on, I was eating cereal at the breakfast table in our dining room. I know these things for facts, since in addition to the images I memorized my own account of the morning. Doing it in words is kind of like digital instead of analog storage for me; it self repairs every time I think about it.

The interesting part is this: I couldn't tell you what kind of cereal I was eating. Given my preferences and how they've changed over time, it's 60/40 between the one thing and another. Now, I'll bet that if I believed all memory was stored and just needed to be recalled, I would think it was one or the other, with certainty. I'll let you draw your own conclusions about the ramifications of that, if any.

No comments:

Post a Comment